Thursday, February 14, 2013

If I Love You, You Know It

If I love you, I say it.  Sometimes I say it a lot.  Sometimes I say it when its important, or just when I feel it.  That can be a combination of things!  BUT our lives are too short and as we all know, its promised to no one.  My greatest fear is not being here to help my sons as they traverse their youth; I want to be here for them.  I want to be their biggest cheerleaders and their comfort but also, to help them stay on the right path.
I hope they do.  It's hard now.  The environment is so different and our culture in this country has changed dramatically.  It's cliche to even say 'kids are exposed to so much more these days' while it's true, it's so obvious that it's an unnecessary statement.  It just is.  Kids talk terribly.  Using such foul language and so freely like its air or water; limitless.  It has no meaning to them.  Many times respect is lacking in what 'kids these days' do.  It's appalling to those of us who grew up with parameters, expectations, and rules.  I want my kids to grow up that way; the way I did.  They may not like it, but its the best way, it's RIGHT.

My friends, the few core true friends I can count on one or one and half hands, they know who they are and they know how I feel about them.  I pray I have let them know individually along the way how important they are to me.  I have learned lots of hard hurtful lessons along the way with regard to friends; who really is, who really is not.  Hopefully I'm at a place of wisdom and knowing when someone is toxic for me.

My actions and my words tell those I love that I love them.  And when I love, I love hard and unselfishly.  Hopefully I can pass that legacy on to my boys.  Hopefully my husband feels wrapped in that fully, without thinking or reflecting on it too much.

Happy Valentines Day.  It's a day of love, commercial though it is at times, still, a day of love.  The Littlest thinks its a 'Family Holiday'.  Ahhh, yes.  I suppose it is.  Not many romantic moments when you are raising children and worrying about the day to day.  We steal them here and there.  So, Family Holiday it is.

Spread the love and kindness.  Pay it forward.  Yes, it's a movie, but it's also a way of life.

No comments: